One of my favorite fall activities is to go apple picking. This year I didn’t know if it was going to happen. My weeks and weekend have been fuller than full and I just didn’t think I would have the time. But God surprised me last weekend when I was Up North in Michigan. Our little apple tree was RIPE with fruit. I dragged out the ladder and with the help of my dad picked that tree clean! By the end my arms were killin’ me and I had 3 big buckets of apples!
I’m planning to make some Apple Butter this week but wanted to share this lovely apple walnut bread that I made. Enjoy!
- 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- 8 oz. plain greek yogurt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped, peeled apples
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake 1/2 cup walnuts in a single layer in a shallow pan 6 to 8 minutes or until toasted and fragrant, stirring after 4 minutes.
- 2. Beat yogurt and next 3 ingredients at low speed with an electric mixer 2 minutes or until blended.
- 3. Stir together flour and next 3 ingredients. Add to yogurt, beating just until blended. Stir in apples and 1/2 cup toasted walnuts. Spoon batter into a greased and floured 9- x 5-inch loaf pan.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 1 hour to 1 hour and 5 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean.