A dear friend asked me a few weeks ago “So, Em where do you see yourself in 5 years?” I stumbled over my answer, because honestly I never thought I would be entering into my 30’s as a single woman. I’ve always imagined that a husband, kids and the “white picket fence” was right around the corner. The desire to be a wife & mamma has been near and dear to my heart for as long as I can remember, but for now that is not apart of my story or season.
Planning for the future is good (ya’ll know my love for Powersheets right??) However, I’ve learned that when my heart gets too focused on that what the next five years could bring, I miss on the gifts of today.
I may have not met my Mr. Right, but God has blessed me with time to deepen my relationships with friends and family.
I may not chasing my kiddos around the house, but instead I’m chasing precious kids around the strawberry patch at work or around the baseball field at the local YMCA.
I’m not meal planning and cooking for my own family, but that doesn’t have to stop me from canning fresh peaches and gifting them to family & friends!
This season is longer than I expected and so different from how I ever imagined. But, through His grace, it’s full of beautiful and unexpected gifts.
My sweet friends Bailey from Brave Love Blog and Katie from A Place To Dwell are hosting a series called An Inspired Season over the next few weeks. The series is all about taking joy and delight in your current season. This week they encouraged us to create a visual collage of our season & write a “bucket list”.
I had so much fun pouring over and selecting photos for this collage, it was such a great reminder of the full, vibrant life I’m living. Highlights of this season include: farm fresh veggies & a new found love of gardening, gathering friends around the table, quiet mornings filled with truth, chasing my dreams, adventures with friends and the opportunity to use my gifts exactly where I am.
As I’m turning the big 3-0 in less than a month I thought it would be appropriate to make a list of things I want to do in this next decade of MY life. I’ve heard from so many people that the 30’s are some of the best years and I can’t wait to see what God will do over this next season! I desire my 30’s to be marked with beauty & bravery. So here is my list folks…
30 Brave & Beautiful Things in my 30’s
- Travel to Africa or China with Visiting Orphans
- Plant a fig tree!
- Learn the art of hand lettering.
- Get a tattoo 😀
- Be completely debt free!
- Host “An evening to Bloom”
- Weekend adventure to Nashville with girlfriends!
- Attend a farm to table dinner.
- Write an e-book (Bloom where you are planted)
- Go blueberry picking.
- Finally visit the Country Living Fair!!
- Send a special care package to my sponsor kiddo in Haiti
- Take an art class and let go of perfection! (pottery, calligraphy, painting..)
- Speak at women’s conference.
- Complete the Bravado (run/walk, bike, kayak).
- Go to concerts on the square with a picnic dinner!
- Take a cooking class at Sur la Table.
- Own my own home.
- Complete whole30 challenge.
- Gather farm fresh eggs!
- Try Stitch Fix for a special occasion outfit!
- Visit a fresh lavender farm.
- Host a girls weekend at the cottage.
- Visit APT for outdoor theater experience!
- Purchase a really comfy, squishy reading chair.
- Learn to flip a pancake (seriously people, it’s BAD!)
- Have a day at the spa.
- Attend a weekend craft retreat.
- Make lemon-basil gelato with my lemons and basil.
- Attend Making Things Happen Conference again and be encouraged to live on purpose and make what matters happen.