Winter can be a cold and dreary season in Wisconsin. The past few weeks I’ve had a deep yearning for sunshine, summer days and time outside (without freezing my nose off!). In short I’ve needed some good old fashioned joy.
Yet, joy isn’t found in focusing on what could be. Joy is discovered when we look deeper into the gifts of today.
In the spirit of choosing joy, I thought I would share some of my favorite, life-giving habits right now.
- Joy Essential Oil. Whenever I need a little pep in my step, I diffuse Joy with a bit of Lemon, pretty soon my fog has lifted and I’m ready to tackle the day with renewed energy.
- Holy Yoga and Lap Swimming. Warmer months in Lake Country are easier to get outside and move, and then November hits and it’s so easy to just retreat inside. I knew this year I wanted to continue life-giving, active habits. I’ve been hitting the local Y 2X a week for some lap swim and I’m also loving Caroline Joy’s “Yoga for when You are a Hot Mess” series on YouTube.
- The Glorious Mundane Podcast. Christy Knockles has been a long time favorite worship leader of mine and her podcast is an absolute gem. Christy not only shares what God has been teaching her but includes interviews with include Annie Downs, She Reads Truth, Beth Moore.
- My fancy, schmancy milk frother. My afternoon coffee break just got a whole lot sweeter.
- Garden planning. Nothing beats the winter blues like breaking out the seed catalogs and dreaming about a beautiful veggie and cut flower garden! This has been especially sweet this year since I’ll be planning my first garden in my new home. My favorite garden resources are Joyful Garden Planner, Floret Flowers, and The Garden Primer.
- Weekly winter farm market. Discovering good food, like-minded friends, and supporting local farmers and artisans–What is not to love?
- Cooking slow food and sharing it with ones I love. I can’t wait to try out this recipe on Friday with some good friends.
- Brisk walks in the sunshine. My Bella Beat leaf activity tracker has been a great reminder and encouragement to get up and move. Plus the app has some amazing breathing and meditation exercises when I need a little mental break.
- My amazing book club. We just finished The Upside of Stress and are diving into Deep Work. These ladies love Jesus and Goals–such kindred spirits.
- This verse.
How about you friends, what has been life-giving to you lately?